Monday, May 29, 2017

Meteor Crater

Location: Homolovi State Park (el. 5,000 ft); Winslow, Arizona

All pictures taken with Nokia Lumia Icon 929 Cell Phone

Meteor Crater
It is the crater left from a meteorite that hit this area about 50,000 years ago. It hit the earth going about 26,000 miles per hour and created an impact equal to about 20 million tons of TNT. Notice all of the "abouts" up there. It's because a lot of it is pure guess work and estimations. There isn't a doubt that a meteor hit this location, but everything else is estimated. Wind and rain erosion changes the lanscape of many places in just a couple of decades. But this crater has been around for 50,000 years? Really? It is the best preserved and the first confirmed meteor crater in the world. 

Meteor Crater is something that has been on my list of things to see for a long time. Well, I've seen it.

I don't know if I've become jaded about seeing things like this or not. I used to enjoy them as "wow" moments. The last couple of things have been "not so much wow". Maybe I've just seen so much that I've gotten used to it all. Maybe it's the commercialization of the crater. It is privately owned and I'm sure they are making a tidy profit. You would think if Devils Tower made the ranking to be a National Monument, which it deserves, then Meteor Crater would also. There seems to be a double standard. I believe both should be on the list but the 4,900 square miles of Ocean that became a National Monument a few years ago should be looked at again.

Tomorrow is moving day. I'm near Flagstaff and as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, it would be a decision point for me. I would decide to continue westward or turn north. I decided to turn north and head to a town called Page, Arizona. I'm hoping to go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon while I'm there, but we will see. I will be there for at least 3 days. It too will be a decision point as I'll need to decide northwest or northeast from there.
Sunset in the campground. One of the campers have a high flying American Flag which is nice, especially for this weekend.
Not only on this Memorial Day, but everyday, please remember all of the fallen service men and women who have given their all for their country. 

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.  

  

7 comments:

  1. When I was at meteor crater years ago their story was that a federal agency tried to make it a federal site but refused to pay the owner anything for the land he had bought years before so he kept it and commercialized it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Barney, They told me the current owners filed claim to the land prior to Arizona becoming a state. It just seems odd to have a Subway in the Visitors Center of such a natural place.

      Delete
  2. I personally thought that paying the fee to see the crater was worth it. It's a meteor crater! I'm with you on the national site thinking...

    I like the Flagstaff area, I actually enjoyed walking around the downtown, watching the trains and the people gearing up for the Grand Canyon.
    I really enjoy the Grand Canyon (south rim), walking the rim trail, enjoying the ever changing view and the variety of different languages overheard. I did spend a week or so camped in the NF (boondocking) going in to the park everyday.
    The north rim was less crowded but the view was not the same as the one I got from the south rim.

    Safe travels whichever direction you head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rob, I'm headed north from here without a stop in Flagstaff except to fuel up. Maybe I'll be back again some day.

      Delete
  3. If you've never been to the North Rim definitely worth the drive..but there is a campground called Jacob Lake at the turnoff..very nice..so you have about a 63 mile drive in if I remember correctly. Travel safe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shirley, I won't be able to make it to the north rim this trip.

      Delete
  4. The North Rim gives a different perspective of the Grand Canyon. You are much higher and the surrounding area is very different. We really liked it. If you like sweets try the cookies at Jacob Lake. Enjoy your travels wherever they take you.

    ReplyDelete