Tuesday, June 7, 2016

More "Wows" (part 3 of ?)(9/11/2014 to 11/30/2014)

Location: New Rockdale RV Park; Mansfield, Louisiana

Today is day 51 since Brandon's second stroke. He mowed the back yard today which is a great achievement. That, combined with his ability to drive his truck is pretty good news. He still goes to Physical/Occupational Therapy 3 days a week for 2 hours per day. He will also begin with Speech/Swallowing Therapy 2 days a week at 1 hour per day. Everything is all good news and he is improving a little bit each day. Thanks to all those who sent prayers and good thoughts. 

I'm continuing with my series of "wow's" that I've experienced since beginning my full time adventures. It is a great way for me to summarize my travels in just a few blog posts. It makes it easier for me to locate a post or campground from the past. This post will be from September of 2014 in Northern Minnesota to Louisiana for Thanksgiving 2014.


Travel route between 9-10-2014 and 11-30-2014



I didn't write a post about this because I fell behind on the blog and just never got around to it. This is the Kensington Runestone located in a museum in Alexandria, Minnesota. It was discovered by a Swedish farmer in 1898 while clearing trees. The inscription is supposedly detailing an exploration of Scandinavians in 1362 which predated Columbus by 140 years. It was a good visit.

This picture is of large boulders that were moved to this location during the last ice age that covered Minnesota. This rock is from as far away as Canada. As you drive around Minnesota, you can see such boulders scattered around. It is a fresh reminder of the impact of nature on our country.

This is from Pipestone National Monument. The prized stone is the pinkish material on the bottom of the excavation. These mini-quarries have been in existence for 3,000 years. The Indians use the soft stone to make pipes and other things. The stone has been found all over the U.S. from the trade routes of the Indians over the ages.

This was a big Wow. It is the junction of the Mississippi River on the left side and the Missouri River on the right side. It was a pleasant day as you can see from the calmness of the waters. It was an amazing feeling standing in this spot with such power being so close on each hand. It is located after miles and miles of travel through farm fields, but well worth the trip. 


The Gateway Arch in St. Louis. I took the trip up to the top and it was a great experience. If you are even a touch claustrophobic, the trip is not for you. I had to clear my mind and not think about the size of the "contraption" used to get people to the top, but it was still nice.


Daniel Boone's grave located a few miles outside of Marthasville, Missouri. It was a great visit to the grave of a man who explored parts of the country at a time when Indians controlled everything around. A great American that is not given his true credit for opening up the country. 

This is Tom Sawyer's Campground in West Memphis, Arkansas. It was a great place to sit and watch the barge traffic pass by as if in a parade. The "wow" moments were at night. I was there when the nights were pitch black. The tows would turn their searchlights on to find navigation buoys then turn them off. It was spooky and exciting at the same time. Very nice. 


A nice visit to the Tobasco plant in Avery Island, Louisiana. This the General Store next to the plant. If you haven't tried their new Chipotle Sauce, you're missing out. It's great on most everything, especially scrambled eggs. 

The Gulf of Mexico. It's not as powerful as either of the two oceans, but no matter how many times I see it, it will always be a "wow" for me. 


Galveston, Texas and the Bolivar Peninsula. They are two of the places where I feel as if I've "come home". I don't know why because I never lived there. It is just one of those special places that immediately gives me a peaceful feeling as soon as I get to the peninsula or the island. 

Sunset over Galveston Bay


This was an extra special "wow" moment. My daughter asked if I would come talk to her 3rd grade class about my travels. They had been following me on the map behind us. The title of the map? "Where is Mrs Mc's Dad?" Very nice visit with the kids.

The family, all in one picture. It doesn't happen too often now a days. 



Family Thanksgiving in the house where the kids grew up. Excellent !!

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.

9 comments:

  1. Major WOW's again. Thank you. It is wonderful how well Brandon is recovering. Congratulations to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Barney. I hope you are recovering from your fall ok. Have fun

      Delete
  2. Way to go Brandon! You've got that Goza Spirit and the grace of God to help fight this battle. Keep fighting. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Phyl, hope ask is well with your bunch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the family pics. What a great experience for Mrs. Mc's class. There is much to learn through travel. Keep on keeping on Brandon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome news on how quickly Brandon is recovering! Love the WOW photos! I especially like the one of your daughter and you with the map in the background! Sure shows how much you travelled! Great lessons for the 3rd graders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K & S,
      It was great visiting with the school kids. Hope ya'll are doing fine.

      Delete
    2. That map only showed from April-November. You were moving faster than I anticipated when I planned that project! Lol :) The students loved it though. Some will never experience the things that they got to see through the blog posts.

      Delete
    3. You did a good thing with the map. You opened their minds to many things

      Delete