Saturday, April 2, 2016

Savannah, Tybee Island and Enough Rain Already

Location: Whispering Pines RV Park (el 53 ft); Rincon, Georgia

All pictures taken with Nokia Lumia Icon 929 Cell phone
(click pictures to enlarge)

Yep, that's right I'm staying at Whispering Pines. That is another Johnny Horton connection with the other being when I toured the Battle of New Orleans battlefield. He sure had a smooth voice and sang songs that had true meanings. I believe songs like those and others during that time have been lost. Too many people now a days are into music strictly for the music and beat. The lyrics have been ignored. But, all is not lost. Any song you can remember, can be found and listened to free of charge on Youtube, which I do frequently.
It's a nice campground with full hook-ups. It's more than I usually pay for a campsite but it is purely "supply and demand", free market at its best.
I arrived here in the early afternoon on Friday and will be here for 3 days. That is the only days available at this campground for the next 4 weeks due to a local Georgia Pacific Paper Mill having a shut down. Lots of their workers are staying here and the shut down begins Monday which is moving day for me. The rest of the campers are Snowbirds that are passing through on their way back north. They made reservations for this time of year when they passed through in the fall. 

The location is about 10 miles from Savannah and about 100 miles from Charleston, South Carolina. Since I was restricted to only 3 days, my plan was to make a day trip into Charleston to see something that I had planned to see 2 years ago, but never did. With such a long day trip, I wasn't sure if I would be able to see anything in Savannah. But the storms and rain that began Friday night and didn't let up until early today changed my plans. According to radar, the storms lasted in Charleston until noon so that canceled my day trip for Saturday. It is supposed to be nice tomorrow so I'll give it another shot and I think I'll need to be there by 9:00 am which means leaving here by 7:00. "If you're 15 minutes early, you're 'on time'; but if you're 'on time', you're late".  Dang, I may have to look up instructions on how to set my alarm. 

After the rain stopped this morning, I drove around Savannah and went to see Tybee Island. It also has been on my list for a while but I didn't think I would see it this go around. Part of my job in my previous life career was to give speeches to civic groups about transportation issues in Northwest Louisiana. Sometimes, if there was time, I would speak about other things of interest. One such topic that seemed likable by the audience was about the U.S. Highway System and it's history. An example that I would use was U.S. 80 which ran through Shreveport/Bossier City. It was a true coast-to-coast highway created in 1926 and going between San Diego, CA to Savannah, Georgia. Later in 1929, it was extended to Tybee Island. So I mentioned Tybee Island to many people and would have to tell them exactly where it was. Well, the storms cancelled my trip to Charleston, so I went to Tybee to see it for myself.
This beach access if at the very end of the island. I bet it is a nice view from those large windows on the second floor

Boardwalk to the beach. It helps protect the dunes

Bingo,,,,, a swinging bench. :)

Looking up to the fishing pier

No lifeguard, you're on your own. It was a "yellow" warning day.



Together Forever??


Leaving the beach and looking down the row of beach houses. The one on the left is the one with the great second story picture window.

Old Tybee Island lighthouse
It is a typical summer tourist town with great beaches directly on the Atlantic Ocean. It was not very crowded today but there were more people than I expected. I didn't get a picture of the end of U.S. 80, but I did see it. 
This fishing pier is on a tributary of the Savannah River, about 10 miles from the ocean

Fishing boats, pleasure boats, and "for hire" boats.


This is the typical landscape for the area between Savannah and the coast. It is a soft soil with marsh grass everywhere. Small creeks/bayous snake their way through on their way to the ocean. 

It was a nice drive which I ended with a Chinese Buffet supper which was pretty good. It had been a while since I had Chinese and was having a hankering for it.

If I make it to Charleston tomorrow, it will complete several circles for me. 

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.  

No comments:

Post a Comment