Sunday, March 6, 2016

Waveland and The Gulf of Mexico

Location: Buccaneer State Park (el. 10 ft); Waveland, Mississippi

all pictures taken with Nokia Lumia Icon 929 cell phone
(click pictures to enlarge)

I arrived at this state park last Thursday with plans to kick back and relax. There isn't a lot to explore in this area so I figured it would be a good time to also do some future planning while relaxing. I have driven around to find a few things of interest and of course since the beach is close by, I have done a little beach walking. I had been told about a nice little bakery in town and went to see what they had. Unfortunately, they had sold out of Banana Nut Bread (my favorite) but I did buy a loaf of Garlic/Rosemary Sourdough Bread and a muffin. The muffin was very good but I don't remember the name. The bread, while the name made it sound very good, was not very tasty at all. I'm sure it was just the combination of ingredients and not due to poor quality by the bakery.

I don't have anything else to write about, so when that happens, I post pictures with captions. :)


I see these giant American Flags every now and then while I'm traveling. I sure hope they are flying it for truly patriotic reasons, but with some of them, I have my doubts. 

This was my first view of the Gulf. Each time I see it or either of the oceans, I get a sudden sense of peace. It also occurs with large bodies of water.

There is only patches of beaches along stretches of this Beach Road. The waves are lapping right next to the roadway. I figure the road was built to handle any overtopping of it by storms.

Buccaneer State Park, site #6. The water pressure was extremely low but since I always use my fresh water tank and water pump, it was no problem.

The view as you pull out of the campground.

This was the Hurricane Katrina museum in Waveland. It was being remodeled but the lady let me in to walk around a little bit. Notice the Waterline mark on the wall. The storm surge that hit Waveland was about 30 feet high and wiped out most everything along the coast. The water went inland almost 12 miles. If Liberty had been camped here she would have been under 20 feet of water. 

This is the flag that was flying over Waveland during Katrina. It seems the white color didn't do so good. The white represents "purity and innocence". Makes you wonder if the country lost some of that during the storm.


Waveland has a nice Veterans Memorial Park located right on the beach. Nice place to sit and think.



Next to the Vet Park is one of the very best fishing piers I've ever seen. Free of charge too.

Nice lighting for night fishing

Bump outs with shade and water for group fishing


From the pier looking over to the Veterans Park


Taken from the end of the fishing pier. The while "line" is a shoal line where the steep drop-off begins. It went off in the distance for as far as I could see. 


A shot of the beach during low tide. It is very shallow for quite a ways out with some of these little islands showing up.

Picture taken while standing on one of the little islands.

A "thinking bench" looking out into the Gulf. A little too close to the road for me though. 

Nice beach picture showing the soft white sand and blue waters.

Several of the streets in Waveland have these trees providing a canopy over the road.


Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.



No comments:

Post a Comment