Thursday, July 30, 2015

Family Emergency (update 3)

Location: Highway 509 RV Park (El. 275 ft); Mansfield, Louisiana

Today is day 20 since Brandon had his stroke. Again, he was very lucky he didn't die from it even though he suffered from no movement in his right arm, hand, leg and foot. I started to use the word paralysis but it didn't seem correct. To me, paralysis implies something permanent. It is obvious that Brandon's condition is not permanent since he has shown progress almost daily. As of today, he can walk unassisted, albeit with a pronounced limp and the use of a ankle brace. His fingers are opening and closing more than they were just a week ago. It appears the arm/shoulder may be the last part of the puzzle to be solved. The puzzle I'm referring to is the mystery of the brain. In Brandon's case, the stroke knocked out some of the connections in the brain that controlled his arm and leg. The arm and leg muscles were undamaged, but they were not receiving the signals from the brain telling them how to act. The recovery process is for the brain to make new connections to the arm and leg. For example, when he walks, the brain senses the imbalance and fires signals to the muscles to compensate. Those signals are now having to find new pathways to the muscles. This is exactly how babies learn to do everything as their brain develops in conjunction with their bodies.

We all hope and pray his progress continues and he makes a 100% recovery. 

To the readers of this blog, I say Thank You for the many thoughts and prayers for my son. The internet is a wonderful thing. Although I have only met a couple of the readers of this blog, I have felt the warm and kind feelings over the last few weeks about my family emergency. Again, Thanks. 

Hopefully the next posting will again contain positive improvement by Brandon and possibly be to the point where travel plans could be considered.

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.  

8 comments:

  1. Continued prayers for a successful recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DareIl

      I have to write you. I got a link of your story from Al (Bayfield Bunch). I also had stroke in 2010 at age of 45 lived in the Cayman Islands. Work every day to learn more. Thought I should be dead. Live in Canada. Not much movememt on my right side. Hope your situation gets better. God Bless.

      Delete
    2. Hello Kevin,
      My son's condition still seems to be improving daily. The doctors and physical therapists are impressed with the progress. They may be blowing smoke, but I see the progress too.

      Delete
  2. Still thinking of you and praying for your son's complete recovery -- Hoping travel plans will resume soon -- If you are ever in the area of East Tennessee feel free to stop by and "set a spell". Keep us posted on your son's recovery process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jenny,
      Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. It sure looks like his recovery should be 100% but only time will tell. It would be nice to "set a spell" in east Tenn. I'm not sure what my travel plans will be since the weather will probably control the direction. I'll catch up with you someday though and buy you a cup of coffee.

      Delete
  3. Hi Darrell, I hope everyone is doing ok. Keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete