Thursday, April 23, 2015

Moving Day to Reno, Nevada

Location: Bordertown RV Resort (el. 5,200 ft); Reno, Nevada

(click pictures to enlarge)
(all pictures taken with Nokia Lumia 929 Cell Phone)

I was looking for a change in scenery and got it yesterday when I moved to Reno, Nevada. For the last several weeks, I've seen some very beautiful places like the Giant Redwoods, the Pacific Ocean, the Columbia River, the Painted Hills and Crater Lake. All of those places filled the senses with natural beauty and were awe inspiring. But, one of the benefits to this lifestyle is to be able to move to different locations with different sights and sounds. It was time for a move to a place on the opposite end of the nature scale, so I chose Reno, Nevada which should be a purely man-made landscape. I'm sure there will be some very nice looking natural landscape as well, but the man-made type should be the predominate one. 

There is nothing special in Reno or the Reno area that has attracted my attention. I will be here for 4 days and plan to just rest up and do some planning on where I go next. As I mentioned in the last post, I need to find a new "long-range destination" and that will take some planning. 

The trip was 250 miles which is longer than most of my towing trips. I usually shoot for about 150 miles with a maximum of 200 miles. I checked into a couple campgrounds in the 150 mile range but like others I've ran into, they don't open up fully until May 1st. The 250 miles was mostly flat land travel in the high desert of the extreme north-east corner of California. It was a very desolate place and there were times when I think I could have stopped and ate lunch in the middle of the road and not worried about getting run over. There were very few houses and even less towns. The towns definitely had seen their better days and mostly consisted of dilapidated and deteriorating buildings. The temperature was in the upper 50's and there were a few puffy clouds around. In the long flat stretches I was able to put Freedom on cruise control and was surprised that I got 9.9 miles per gallon over the entire 250 miles. There were also a large number of chipmunks/ground squirrels that crossed the road. There must have been at least 20 to 30 throughout the trip. Some would wait until I got closer, then high tail it across the road. It was as if they were playing chicken.

Most of the pictures with this blog are traveling pictures. I post those type of pictures as a future reminder to me what the landscape adjacent along the way looked like. 

Long straight road

The adjacent land is mostly composed of scrub-brush

Every now and then there were stretches of trees.

Wide open spaces

Mountains in the distance

The sky was stealing the show

Rain clouds beginning to show over the mountains

Some of the few houses along the way

Dry lake in the distance

Running alongside the dry lake. I'm not sure what that dark thing in the sky is, I just noticed it.

I thought this looked nice.

The mountains in the distance are to the west. They act as a rain shadow and prevents a lot of the rain from reaching the high desert.

Nice

The rain was becoming more evident as I got closer to Reno.

Bordertown RV Resort

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.   

No comments:

Post a Comment