Friday, January 9, 2015

An Old Tree, High Winds and Random Pictures

Location: Goose Island State Park; Rockport, Texas

(click pictures to enlarge)

One of the attractions of the Goose Island area is an old Coastal Live Oak tree that is over 1,000 years old. It's true age is unknown. It is surrounded by several of its offspring (children?). The state park takes care of the tree and waters it during drought and provides support for some of its limbs. It was an interesting visit and as usual, there were no other people around. She is a survivor. 

1,000+ year old Coastal Live Oak tree. 

Nice "thinking benches" surround the tree.

Liberty has been buffeted with strong, 30+ mph, north winds for the last two days. We are parked so that the winds are hitting us straight on instead of broadside. Although I was a little concerned about how the slide "toppers" were handling the wind, they are doing fine. The wind is suppose to calm down a little bit by this Sunday which is moving day. Although I'm not 100% sure yet, I'm leaning towards returning to Goliad State Park. I wasn't able to see the things I planned when I was there a few weeks ago due to getting sick. A few days there may be a good stop and hopefully all those cold germs are gone.

There is a long fishing pier in the park and people seem to congregate around a channel that goes under the highest part. I haven't fished since I was a child and have been thinking about maybe getting back into it. I'm just not sure if I need another addiction, yet. I think the gentlemen said they were catching sheepshead fish. They caught two while I was talking with them but I didn't think to take a picture until I left. They seemed to be enjoying themselves even with a cool wind blowing. The walk out on the fishing pier was nice and provided a couple good pictures.

Freedom parked at the fishing pier parking lot

The dry part in the water is an oyster shell walkway. I assume it is man-made but haven't confirmed it yet. There are stairs leading from the pier to the oyster shells.


The end

I liked this one because of the patch of blue sky

Looking back along the pier. I bet there have been many hours of fishing along this place.

From the fishing pier looking back towards the campground.

As I was walking around Liberty checking for any wind damage I was reminded about how close I parked to the picnic shelter. I would like to say it was intentional but it was accidental. I measured the distance for the slide to clear the water spigot and only briefly looked up to the overhang. I got lucky by about 3 inches. Maybe I should print this picture and put it on my sun-visor as a reminder. 

An inch is as good as a mile????
The next picture is for those that think I eat out too much. It is from last nights supper of fried shrimp. They were very good. The dipping sauce was Whataburger spicy ketchup straight from the bottle. I don't have to mix ketchup and hot sauce anymore. The only place I have found it was from H.E.B. grocery stores (thanks for the heads-up Robin). I'll need to stock up with a few bottles before leaving Texas. 

The fixings for fried shrimp
Well, I'm heading to the post office to mail some post cards to my daughter Brittanie's 3rd grade class. I guess Taco Bell will be a good place to eat since I slaved over the hot stove last night.  

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.

9 comments:

  1. Your engineering skills really show with your measure of that "inch". Really nice pier it looks very long. What body of water is that..a lake or what?
    Shrimp look good. I would have fried them for you Baby Brother if I were there so you wouldn't have had to slave over a hot stove for hours! Continue to enjoy your adventure! Take care love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Phyl.
      The water is Aransas Bay. Big and shallow.

      Delete
  2. Love your blog - you caught my interest with Mustang Island pics (since I primitive camp there every few months) after I saw your comment on OFM's blog. I just spent over 4 hours reading your entire adventure so far. Looking forward to checking in on you daily. Your mileage already is very impressive. Safe travels to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andy,
      I'm glad you enjoyed it. I saw some tent campers on the beach at Mustang. It was windy, wet and cold. I don't think I would like that at all.

      Delete
  3. Glad you like HEB. Their pepper sauce used on the patty melt is available too and really good. HEB brand chili is good and spicy too, in the can. Yep. Better make a final run before leaving us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Robin,
      I like the new Tobasco Chipolte sauce. I tried it when I toured the factory and ended up buying a big bottle. I put it on lots of things

      Delete
  4. Did you hunt the cache at the old tree? I love those old trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Don,
      No, I didn't look for the cache. Geocaching is still a second thought for me.

      Delete
  5. Mrs. McMillan's ClassMarch 26, 2015 at 1:00 PM

    Cool Trees! We would love to climb them! Ummm...the fried shrimp!!!!

    ReplyDelete