Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Found the Ocean and Semi-empty campground

Location: Wild Acres Campground; Old Orchard Beach, Maine
(click pics to enlarge)

The campground emptied out pretty good by noon yesterday. I have vacant sites all around me. I have seen this before at other campgrounds as
weekenders invade the campgrounds then leave in mass by Sunday or early Monday. The campgrounds are left with only the seasonal
the one on the right stole something and ran
campers who general work during the weekdays and vagrant travelers like me. The pictures show the vacant sites and if you compare to yesterdays post you can see the big difference. The advantages of vacant sites next door are no loud people. When I got here there
This ones looks like he is a beaver eating the tree
was a guy in the site next to me that had one of those loud voices that just carries very far. I'm glad he moved out. I also got a few good pictures of the squirrels that had made so much noise when they were running on the roof of Liberty.
As I was walking around, I also found the "bench" picture. It seems like I see benches everywhere now.

I also found the ocean. As I said in the last post, this town is a big tourist trap with young adults walking around the downtown and beach strip area. It is very similar to Virginia Beach and Galveston except this town lacks the easy access to the beach area. I figured the locals had to have access to the beach somewhere so I consulted with Google earth to find it. Sure enough, about 6 or 7 miles away in a residential area was a beach
Path from parking to the ocean
access point with free parking. While I was driving around to see what I could see, I found my way to that beach access. Sure enough, plenty of free parking and an easy walk to the beach. I was surprised how many cars were parked there on a weekday (Monday) and with the temperature only in the
mid-70's. The sky was clear though and the sun was bright. I walked to the beach and as I got to the beginning of the beach area I saw people laying and sitting everywhere. One of the things I noticed was that most were groups of women. I quickly checked to make sure I hadn't
accidentally stumbled onto a nudist beach. Just in case the first few were clothed by choice, I had to verify by checking several more. Once I was sure, I walked to the water's edge and looked up and down the beach. The people were congregated within about 1/2 mile of the access point. Most were sunbathing, visiting, reading or sleeping. I reached
for my cell phone camera and suddenly felt out of place. If I started taking pictures of the beach area, I would look like a pervert taking pictures of women laying around in bikinis. I took a few of the waves then said to myself, oh well, let them call the cops. I think I'll be out of the area by the time they show up. I wandered back through the beach people and was very thankful I had
remembered to wear my sunglasses because they hid my eyes protected my eyes from the harmful rays of the sun. I left the beach and headed back to town.

I stopped at a grocery store and picked up a steak for supper. It was a nice and relaxing afternoon and evening.

Tomorrow is moving day. I'm heading farther north to the Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park area. It is suppose to be a very nice campground with some pretty views. We will see.

Ya'll take care of each other and I'll Cya down the road.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment