Monday, April 28, 2014

Pre-travel Day

No adventures today. It was a day spent watching the weather, doing laundry, servicing the fifth wheel hitch and planning the trip for tomorrow, if the weather cooperates.

I am still a little undecided as to which direction to take when I leave here.

One way is to head towards Bristol, Tenn which is right on the Virginia border. The next stop from there would be Roanoke, Virginia. This direction would put me in Washington D.C. within 7 to 10 days. The weather in D.C. should stay cool enough for an old, fat man for at least the next 3 to 4 weeks. The other advantage to this route is it will be along the interstate which would be safer if some of this unpredictable weather would change. From Bristol, I could explore the Great Smoky Mountains National Park from the north.

The other direction would take me to Nashville to see the Grand Ole Opry. From there I would swing through Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Maryland to get to D.C.  That way would take about 3 weeks to get to D.C. which would risk arriving in hot weather. This route is still a possibility, but 3rd on the list.

The last direction would be to head directly into the Smoky Mountains, roughly towards Asheville, North Carolina. This would be on some two lane roads that follow the rivers through the valleys. It would be an increase in elevation of 1,300 feet from here. If the storms hit while on this two lane road pulling the RV, it may be exciting. This would be the prettier of the rides. Once in a campground, I could explore parts of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park from the south.

I will make up my mind in the morning with the weather playing a part in the decision. I may not decide until I get to the intersection and have to turn left or right. Everything happens for a reason, so no matter which direction I turn, it will be the correct one.

I'm beginning the 3rd week of retirement. It sure seems longer. One of the things that I've noticed is that time has changed for me. I'm losing track of the day of the week and have to look at my cell phone to be sure. I quit wearing a watch so now the time of day is not noted nor is it important. I wake up when I'm rested and go to bed when I'm tired. I eat when I'm hungry and take a nap when I feel like it. Time is more in terms of "morning" and "evening" now. The only important times are check-out times from the campgrounds which are usually much later than I need, so it's not a problem. I do take my pills approximately when I'm suppose to take them, plus or minus an hour or two. I am staying aware of the weather so I don't get caught towing in high winds or thunderstorms. I also am trying to keep close to that 72 degree line. It has been getting up to the mid 80's around here the last day or so, so I either have to go up in elevation or north to get to cooler temperatures. Oh well, I've rambled enough. More on this in the next Random Thoughts and Things.

It was a good day.

Ya'll take care of each other. Cya

2 comments:

  1. Glad to here you weather the storm. I think 2 or 3 would be the best way to go do to you taking pictures. And you give great history leasons. And I don"t think it will be that hot. If you can handle LA heat DC nothing. Take care. Looking forward to lunch with you and Pat, We miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tric,,, thanks for the comment. Hope your hair is wet often.

      Delete